About this Webinar
About STEM Montessori Academy of Canada (SMAC) / STEM International Academy of Canada (SIAC), and the National STEM Leadership Program. (SNLP)
A federally recognized Canadian not for profit organization providing STEM education. Our mission and focus is to help each child achieve academic excellence, master self-learning skills, and develop equal character while fostering self-discipline, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills in a STEM-based learning environment.
Programming across 7 different program options are open to all students across Canada regardless of academic experience and school registration.
Programs: for Students Ages 2.5 years to 17 years ( Pre-school and Grades K-12)
- Full- time STEM Immersion School
- Supplementary STEM Immersion Programming for public school students
- Weekend school and weekend workshops
- Before and After school Programs
- National STEM Leadership Program
- STEM International Program
- Camp Programming - Summer, Spring Break, Winter Break, PD Days
* All programs are available in person on virtually.
About Microsoft Minecraft Coding Classes?
STEM Leadership, SMAC and SIAC have partnered with Microsoft® to host a FREE virtual after-school coding classes for Ontario, Quebec, Manitoba, PEI, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and Newfoundland & Labrador for students ages 7-14 who have a curiosity for what makes a video game work.
Session 1: Intro to Minecraft and Coding
- Learning all about how to move in Minecraft and basic controls
- Once comfortable, the students will be doing the Chicken Rain tutorial from Make Code to introduce the concept of coding and mods
Session 2: Coding Continued
- Flower Tutorial explained – learning about coordinates and why it’s important in computer science
- Aquarium Tutorial explained – utilizing what the students have learned from the Flower Tutorial to make aquariums through code
Session 3: Giving Powers to Yourself and other Mods
- Practicing the concepts of making a mod for a video game and learning how mods affect normal gameplay
- Mega Jump Tutorial
- Fast Forward Tutorial
- Walk on Water Tutorial
Session 4: Controlling AI
- Meeting the agent who the students will be learning to control
- Learning how AI operates and functions Utilizing those concepts to have the agent move and build a house
- Agent Move Tutorial
- Agent Build Tutorial
Session 5: Coding Town
- Coding Town will be a series of puzzles that the students will solve by utilizing all they’ve learned through the past 4 sessions
STEM education is among the most competitive and sought after programs in the world. STEM promotes innovation, critical thinking, and science literacy. In today’s world of ever-evolving technology, the trajectory of the future of education and the career sector is contingent on an increased need for basic and advanced application and understanding of math and science.
How long will each session be?
The session will run in Quebec (English Only) - Eastern Time:
- Monday May 17th, 2021 at 4:30-5:30pm.
- Tuesday - Friday, May 18th-21st, 2021 from 4:00pm-5:00pm.
What are the session fees?
This after-school program is FREE, there are no fees required to participate. Open to all students across Ontario, public, catholic, home-schooled and private.
How will we be able to access the sessions?
Interested participants must contact us or sign up here to register. Once signed up, students will receive the access for the virtual sessions via email link for Microsoft Teams 12-24 hours prior to the start time and date.
What will I see during this session?
Students will learn how coding fundamentals work through block based and python coding and dive deep into how a video game, like Minecraft really works.
Watch the video below to get a glimpse of the Microsoft® Minecraft Coding Classes!
Who do I contact if I have a question about the program?